Christina "Chrissemeuje" Karnebeek-Backs (née Backs) (2 October 1849 – 7 October 1959) was a Dutch supercentenarian. She was the world's oldest living person from the death of Nancy J. Ryan on 17 October 1958 until her own death on 7 October 1959, aged 110 years and 5 days. She was succeeded as oldest living person by Marie Olsen. She was the first female supercentenarian from the Netherlands, as well as the last validated surviving person born in the 1840s.
Mrs Christina Backs was born in Holterhoek, The Netherlands (a small hamlet in the vicinity of Eibergen) to parents Gerhardus Backs and Johanna Nijrolder on 2 October 1849. Her first husband, Gerrit Jan Startman, whom she had married on 21 September 1888 (coincidentally Geert Adriaans Boomgaard's 100th birthday), died on 27 December 1896 at the age of 65. Almost a year later, Mrs Backs would marry her second husband, Antonius Bernardus Karnebeek, on 11 November 1897. The two of them would spend the rest of their lives together in Holterhoek, where they had a farm. Mr. Karnebeek died in 1922, aged 67.
Towards the end of her own life, Mrs Karnebeek-Backs became somewhat of a celebrity in her native country, as no other Dutch woman had yet reached the ages of 108, 109, and 110 before; moreover, at the time of her death, no other woman in The Netherlands was older than 107. On her 110th birthday, family and press were invited to celebrate the milestone with her, yet Mrs Karnebeek-Backs was already suffering from a cold and hardly spoke a word. She would die five days later, late in the evening, after having been given her last rites.
- GERONTOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
- Search: karnebeek-baks Nationaal Archief - Photograph collection
- Chrissemeuje wordt 2 oktober 110 jaar Utrechts Nieuwsblad 25/9/1959, pag. 3 van 24
- Chrissemeuje overleden Utrechts Nieuwsblad 8/10/1959, pag. 1 van 22
- 100-jarigen in Nederland Utrechts Nieuwsblad 8/10/1959, pag. 9 van 22
- Photo Gallery for Supercentenarians born before 1850 GRG
- ↑ GRG Table C - World's Oldest Person (WOP) Titleholders Since 1955 Gerontology Research Group
- ↑ http://www.hetutrechtsarchief.nl/collectie/kranten/un/1959/1008 (Dead link)