Evelyn Abdella (known as Sister John Maron Abdella; 15 August 1906 – 5 March 2016) was a Syrian-American centenarian. At the time of her death, she was the oldest living Arab-American person.
Sister John Maron Abdella was born as Evelyn Abdella on 15 August 1906 in Bohanas Mt. Lebanon, Syria, daughter of Isser Abdella and Regina Ziden. Her bother, Anthony Abdella lived to be 102. She entered the Sisters of St. Joseph in September 1929 and pronounced her vows in August 1932.
She earned a bachelor of science in education degree from Mount St. Joseph Teachers College in 1939. She became the oldest living Arab-American person on 29 April 2011, then aged 104, following the death of 110-year-old Rose Haddad.
Sister John Maron Abdella died in Clarence, New York on 5 March 2016 at the age of 109 years, 203 days. She was one of the oldest nuns in the United States when she died.
- ↑ Staff (2016-03-07). "Sister John Maron Abdella, 109, Sister of St. Joseph". http://buffalonews.com/2016/03/07/sister-john-maron-abdella-109-sister-of-st-joseph/.
- ↑ "Anthony Joseph "Tony" Abdella (1915 - 2007) - Find A Grave Memorial". https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=21768283.
- ↑ "Nun celebrates 105th birthday". Reality TV World. Retrieved 2017-08-10.
- ↑ Radlich, Jane Kwiatkowski (2014-08-16). "Nun celebrates her 108th birthday in Clarence". http://buffalonews.com/2014/08/16/nun-celebrates-her-108th-birthday-in-clarence/.
- ↑ "Sr. M. John Abdella, SSJ Obituary - Dengler, Roberts, Perna Funeral Home | Kenmore NY". http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Sr.+M.+John-Abdella,+SSJ&lc=1716&pid=177971352&mid=6833575.