Ghost cases are paper claims to extreme age, where the claimant died earlier than their presumed death date. SSDI's often put people's death dates much later than their real ones, so they contribute some of the cases to this list.
- Sogen Kato, born 22 July 1899, was thought to have been alive in July 2010, but actually died c.November 1978.
- Elena Grillo, born 21 September 1901, was thought to have been alive in October 2011, but actually died c.2001.
- Webster Collins, born 5 January 1902, died on 23 January 2012 according to his SSDI, but he turned out to have died on 13 November 1965.
- Hazel Williams, born 5 September 1889, was thought to have died on 11 January 2003, but that's when her remains were buried. She died in January 1983.
- Jennie Hicks, born 10 May 1882, was thought to have died in 1994, but actually died in 1947.
- John Wigginton, born 6 March 1902, was thought to have died on 1 December 2013, but actually died in 1970.
- Jesse L. Duffield, born 19 September 1899, was thought to have died on 22 January 2013, but actually died in 1987.